Friday, September 23, 2011

29 Week Update

So we are in the middle of week 29, which means only 11 weeks left….or maybe less. On average people pregnant with twins deliver between weeks 35 and 36, so that would mean I would have around 6 or 7 weeks if we use the law of averages.

So, just to give a short update, last week I had my 28 week appointment where we had an ultrasound and 3D ultrasound done. The babies looked great during the ultrasound, their estimate weight was 1 lb. 15oz. and 2 lbs. 5 oz., so one baby is just a little bigger than the other. Baby A was head down and kind of tucked down underneath Baby B who is head up/transverse. I can definitely tell Baby B has a lot more room to move around too as he likes to kick a lot and push against the front of my belly a lot! Their measurements looked good in the ultrasound and when we tried to do a 3-D ultrasound we were not so successful. We did get one or two good pictures of Baby B (See below) where he looks like he is smiling, however, we decided Baby A is more like Tim because he was being camera-shy and facing my spine so we did not get any 3D pics of him and only a few regular ultrasound pictures. Oh, well, they both seem to be doing great, so that’s all that matters :).

Now onto the other development. During my ultrasound the technician decided there was an indicator for pre-term labor (I can give you more details if you want, just ask). They sent me over to Riverside Hospital (which is where I will deliver) to be monitored to ensure my body was not going into pre-term labor. Once at the hospital they discovered I was having some contractions and might be dilating a little, so I ended up having to stay for 24 hours to have several tests and take some precautionary measures to ensure I wasn’t going to have these babies early. While there, they monitored me and the babies. The babies were fine, they continued to be very active, and they didn’t enjoy being monitored (two belts with round discs on them were strapped around my belly to detect each one of their heartbeats), and spent a lot of time kicking the monitors and trying to move away from them, they were being stinkers :) . They gave me medicine to stop the contractions and some steroids to help the babies lungs develop. At the end of the day they were able to do a test on me that is called a fetal fibronectin test. It has a very strong negative indicator, so that if it comes back negative your body is most likely not going to go into labor for the next 1-2 weeks. So that test came back negative and we got to go home. On the other side I was released with orders to be on bed rest. Additionally, my doctor was out of town the whole week last week so I was dealing with on-call doctors. Overall, everything they did was fairly standard for a mom of multiples that has not reached 32 or 34 weeks yet, and is showing signs of pre-term labor. I had actually read about this before-hand so that did make it less scary when going through it.

Now, I’m 29 weeks (one week closer!) and I got to see my doctor. I am still on bedrest, which means I’m not supposed to be on feet much at all, except to go to the bathroom, shower and get up to eat. So that also means I’m not supposed to be driving or shopping or going to work. I am allowed to work from home which is helpful, since I’m confined to my recliner, couch and bed. Overall, I’m doing well, just wanted to give an update so you had the scoop and to let you know that we are doing well. I have included some of the ultrasound pics and others below!



Baby B - Heartbeat
Baby B - Head Shot
Baby B - 3D Face - Smiling
Baby A - Heartbeat
Baby A - Body & Spine

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Good lookin' babies Can't wait to see them in person...in 6-7 weeks :) Let us know if you need anything, food, movies, magazines, ect. as we are happy to help!